Monday, April 28, 2014

Tarsal Tunnel

Alright, so for this blog I decided to do an injury that most people do not know about and by most people that includes me. The reason I have chosen to do a blog on Tarsal Tunnel is because I recently went to the doctors and I was diagnosed with this injury. When I was in that doctor's office and he told me that had tarsal tunnel my eyes widened and I could not believe it. The more and more the doctor talked about it the more it made me depressed. As soon as he mentioned the word SURGERY I could not bear to hear anymore! All I could think was ME, an athlete, hoping to go on and play basketball in life but might have to sit back a couple months! I can't even rest one week without playing a sport, I feel bored and dead without them. So me, trying to go at least 1 month without playing a sport is just not in my mentality right now.

Allow me to explain what is Tarsal tunnel its a painful foot condition in which the tibia feels tight as it travels along the tarsal tunnel. Your tarsal tunnel is located on the inner leg, behind your medal malleolus. (located in the picture) To determine if you have this injury you must get a physical examination  and take an X-ray but an MRI is highly recommended too.
How can tarsal tunnel happen? This injury can happen for a number of reasons for example the reason I have it, is because I have flat feet. Also, those who have arthritis in their feet can lead to tarsal tunnel, diabetes, another injury can lead to this as well or, simply you could have a disease.

Symptoms

The first time I noticed there was something wrong with my feet, I got agonizing pain at the bottom of my feet. It was a very sharp and later on numbing pain that prevented me from playing to my full potential. I could tell there was something wrong with the nerves in my feet but I did not know what it was! Here are other symptoms that may occur:
  • Burning sensation
  • Numbness in the foot
  • Very bad pain at the bottom of feet
  • Swelling of the feet
  • Also, if any of these symptoms spread up your legs

Preventions

  • Do a good warm up
  • Do exercises to make the feet more flexible
  • Wear the proper shoes
  • Make sure to give your feet a break throughout long durations of activity

Treatment

Non surgical treatment
To try and get ride of the pain there are many solutions but depending on how severe your injury is, it might not cure it. First of all, I have went with the solution of getting orthotics, that you must wear in all your shoes to try and help create an arch in your foot. Also, you can take medication to help cure the nerve damage in your foot. The other option which frightens me the most would be steroid/ anesthetic injections in the nerves of your foot to try and release the swelling and pain.
Surgical treatment
For this solution the doctors would either release the ligament that surround the tunnel, fix the structure of the tunnel or clearing the obstruction.
Here is small video explaining everything you need to know about Tarsal Tunnel!

4 comments:

  1. When I was reading through your blog post, I was thinking that orthotics might be something worth trying to help support the arch in your feet. As I continued reading on, I realize that that is what you did to help. I have orthotics because I had a fracture in my foot several years ago. I've been wearing them ever since, and I think they are the best thing that could have happened for my feet. Your situation seems pretty serious and I hope it doesn't affect your sports too much! Hopefully the orthotics help so you won’t have to go to the other extremes (medication, steroids, surgery)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I suffer from the same problem. My flat feet have caused me a lot of pain throughout my life. Even with orthotics, running for extended periods of time is quite painful and is ultimately the reason I stopped playing lacrosse several years ago. My doctor told me that flat is the most common foot type in the world, which is quite interesting since having this foot type causes problems for many individuals. It really goes to show that the evolved human body is far from perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's sad to hear that you’ve been diagnosed with this injury, especially with you wanting to continue playing sports in the future. I hope it’s nothing too severe, can’t let an injury slow you down. If you are thinking of doing surgery to solve this problem, then I wish you the best of luck and a fast recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear that for you Gabby. I wish you the best of luck and I just know that whatever you with you going through surgery or not you will still find a way to always play sports. I know you will!!! If you do go through the surgery I wish you the best of luck and a well and fast recovery. I would also like to mention that you blog has been so a far really eye opening and is really a well chosen topic. I mean many people in life go through many different kinds of injuries and do not always know what a certain injury is and how to take care of it the proper way. So I think you have helped many people with your typy of blog! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete